Make your summer great with a refreshing and delicious recipe that’s low in calories but high in nutrients… It’s called Pipino Salad.
Vegetables are an important part of every man and woman’s diet, helping people keep a healthy lifestyle. Do you’ve read several recipes, consulted friends and family, but have still yet to make a choice. Does this sound like you? If so, I understand your plight. It’s hard not to be overwhelmed with the number of options we have today.
The main purpose of this blog is to simplify the process for you by narrowing down your options to the absolutely essential healthy recipes.
Here you’ll find several healthy recipes that are delicious and easy to prepare, so if you’re interested in new ideas for cooking your favorite dishes with fresh vegetables, stay with me and continue reading the best healthy Pipino salad recipe that’s worth trying!
Healthy Pipino Salad!
This is a healthy, easy-to-make salad that is perfect for the summer months. It is a healthy alternative to traditional potato salad. This recipe is low in fat and calories but high in flavor and freshness. It’s full of fresh, crunchy vegetables (cucumber and onion). It has a light dressing (The dressing is made with lemon juice and olive oil, which are two of my favorite ingredients) that will leave you feeling good about yourself after every bite.
I have been making this salad for years, and everyone always asks me for the recipe. My friends always loved it when I brought it to a party or potluck because there were never any leftovers! It’s that good!
It’s also great for when you’re trying to eat less meat and more vegetables!
What is Pipino Salad?
A Pipino Salad is actually a cucumber salad. Pipino is a Spanish and Italian word that means cucumber. It does not refer to a specific variety of cucumbers. Even though English cucumbers are used in this salad, you can use any cucumber variety you have on hand.
Ensalada Pipino is another name for this dish. The Spanish word Ensalada means salad. This Pipino salad is, in any way, a cucumber salad.
English cucumbers are my favorite since they have fewer seeds than traditional cucumbers. Additionally, English cucumbers have a somewhat different flavor, which I prefer.
Why You Will Love This Pipino Salad?
Quick and simple! This salad is easier to make. You most likely already have all of the necessary ingredients on hand. This tasty cucumber salad can be made in just 10 minutes.
Delicious: This salad is brimming with vibrant, fresh flavors! It tastes so fantastic !!
Healthy: Cucumbers are a healthy, refreshing, and adaptable food. They are low in calories, carbohydrates, and sodium. They’re also high in vitamins and nutrients! Cucumbers are high in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as magnesium, potassium, and manganese. Cucumbers can also aid calcium absorption because they are a natural diuretic.
Versatile: This recipe can be served as a side dish with about any enter, as a tasty snack, or as an appetizer for a small gathering.
Keto-friendly: This healthy Pipino salad is the perfect low-carb salad for keto dieters.
How To Make Healthy Pipino Salad?
The method of preparing this Pipino salad is so simple, and it hardly takes 10 minutes. However, I have a few tips for you, but before proceeding to those, have a look at the recipe’s required ingredients.
- Lemon juice: The lemon juice adds freshness and brightness.
- Olive oil: I have used olive oil in this recipe. It is loaded with healthy fats and is a perfect choice.
- Maple syrup: The addition of maple syrup brings just enough sweetness to counterbalance the tartness. However, it is optional to add sweetener.
- Ginger: Ginger is used as a spice (in the form of a flavoring agent mostly) in many dishes
- Salt: A pinch of salt brightens everything up. Salts such as Himalayan pink Himalayan salt, sea salt, and table salt can all be used. Season with salt to your liking.
- Cucumbers: I used English cucumbers. But If English cucumbers are unavailable, Persian cucumbers or tiny cucumbers can be used.
- Red onion: Red onion give the salad a pop of color, but you may use whatever type of onion that you have on hand.
Whiskey lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, ginger, and salt in a large bowl. Add cucumber and onion and toss to combine.
What To Serve With Pipino Salad?
This simple summer salad recipe goes well with just about any grilled meat. However, as a vegan, I like to pair it with:
- In order to make thin slices of cucumbers and onions, I recommend using a mandolin slicer. It’s a lot easier to get a uniform thickness this way.
- The skins of certain cucumbers are thin, the skins of others are thick and waxy. You can leave the skin on, peeling a few cucumber strips or entirely peeling the cucumber. I prefer to leave the skin on for added crunch and fiber.
- Keep it refrigerated until ready to serve. And eat any leftovers you have within the next three days.
Variations And Substitutions
- Add tomato or bell pepper slices to the salad to make it more colorful and nutrient-dense.
- Avocado cubes can be added. The combo of avocado and cucumber tastes delicious.
- Lemon juice can be replaced with apple cider vinegar.
- Apple is another excellent addition to this salad.
- The crucifier vegetables, such as radish, cabbage, or lettuce, enhance this salad’s flavor and nutritional value.
- Have you just realized you’re out of maple syrup? No worries – agave nectar or granulated sugar will suffice!
Dressing Combinations For This Salad
- Coconut yogurt, cayenne pepper, salt, and cumin seeds powder (or any herb)
- Lemon juice, salt, and dried mint + coconut cream or cashew cream
- Avocado, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, sea salt, a pinch of dried oregano, or any other dried herb.
- Lemon juice combined with a touch of coconut sugar or another sweetener, pepper powder, and salt.
Additional Cucumber Recipes To Try:
If you like this healthy Pipino salad recipe, here are some more cucumber recipes to try:
Frequently Asked Questions
What Equipment Do I Require To Prepare Pipino Salad?
This is a simple salad to make. A chopping board, knife, mixing bowl, and spatula are required. I find it useful to use a Mason jar to mix the dressing. To store it, you’ll also need an airtight container.
Do I Need To Peel Cucumbers?
Cucumber peeling is not always necessary, and this is determined by the type of cucumber you’re using.
Cucumbers from Japan, England, and Iran have thin skins that don’t need to be peeled. Because the skin on Classic Kirby cucumbers is thicker and tougher, it must be peeled and discarded.
Cucumber skin is an excellent source of vitamin A and fiber! I prefer using Japanese, English, or Persian cucumbers because they have a great crunch, and the peel can be left on!
How To Make Pipino Salad Ahead?
Cucumbers have a high water content; therefore, they will expel a lot of liquid once combined with the dressing. Store the vegetables and dressing separately until ready to serve to make it ahead. Combine and enjoy right away!
Or, before adding the remaining ingredients, salt the cucumbers and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, wring out any excess liquid and add them to the bowl. This will allow the salad to last longer.
How Long Will Pipino Salad Keep In The Refrigerator?
This healthy Pipino Salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The cucumbers will stay fresh since they are covered in a lemon juice-based vinaigrette. However, the cucumbers and onion in the salad will release moisture over time, making the vegetables soggy. If you want a crunchy, fresh cucumber salad, eat it as soon as possible or within 24 hours.
What Kind Of Onion Should I Use In Pipino Salad?
Red onions are not only beautiful to look at, but they are also delicious raw. If you don’t have a red onion on hand, you can substitute a white onion, but the onion flavor will be stronger. It is not advisable to use a yellow onion.
Can I Use Mayonnaise?
Lemon juice is used in this Pipino salad recipe. In Asian countries, this type of pipino salad is popular.
However, some recipes call for mayonnaise instead. You are certainly free to do so. Simply use ¼ cup mayonnaise and leave out the lemon juice.
You can use either regular or low-fat mayonnaise. If you’re watching your carbs, use low-sugar mayonnaise and maple syrup. Alternatively, omit the sweetener entirely.
Friends, let me know if you try this healthy Pipino salad! Share your thoughts in the comments. Everyone who reads your thoughts and experiences benefits, including me!
If you enjoyed this post about Healthy Pipino Salad (Cucumber Salad) and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.