A comfortable, soft and safe area is necessary for our little ones to start crawling or to simply have fun on the floor with their favorite toys. As there are numerous options on the market, I listed the best baby play mats. I am sure it will serve as a guide when making your purchase.
Perhaps you have already improvised at home with light blankets or sheets, but they are not made for that purpose and you can put the child’s well-being at risk. These mats are simple and have characteristics that will allow the little one to function in an optimal space.
What is the best baby play mat?
The details always make the difference and to know which is the best option it is important to specify the qualities that will allow us to guarantee the well-being and good development of the child.
Because it is an article that, regardless of its brand, must comply with several elements, I summarize some tips to consider:
- It should be easy to place and store
- Its surface must be washable so that it can be constantly cleaned.
- If it is elastic better because the fabrics will adapt to any surface.
- Colors and textures are also an element to consider. Look for the most attractive for your baby.
Best Baby playmats in 2022 [Reviews and buying guide]
- Splashin’kids Inflatable Tummy Time Premium Water mat Infants and Toddlers
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
- Tadpoles Soft EVA Foam 36 Piece ABC Playmat Set
- Baby Einstein 4-in-1 Kickin ‘Tunes Music and Language Discovery Activity Play Gym
- Balance From Kid’s Puzzle Exercise Play Mat
- Bright Starts 5-In-1 Your Way Ball Play Activity Gym
- Baby Folding mat Play mat Extra Large Foam playmat Crawl mat
- Tiny Love Meadow Days Super Play Mat
- Bright Starts Disney Baby Finding Find Mr. Ray Ocean Lights & Music Gym
- Baby Care Play Mat – Haute Collection (Large, Moroccan – Beige) – Play Mat for Infants
Let see their features one by one and select the best mat for your baby to be used in floors.
1. Splashin’kids Inflatable Tummy Time Premium Water mat Infants and Toddlers
Features of Inflatable Tummy Time Premium Water mat
- The baby play mat gets manufactured from heavy PVC that prevents the water splash from leaking.
- The playmat plays an essential role in developing neck and shoulder muscles, motor skills, hand-eye coordination and social skills.
- A wonder world for your toddler as he will be amazed by the bright hues and cute toys floating around.
- It includes a clinch to fill the outer ring with air and the inner mat with tap water.
2. Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
Features of Fisher Price play Piano Gym
- Four exciting ways to play- Lay and play, sit and play, tummy time and take along.
- Learning features specially designed for a growing kid brain development.
- It introduces your child to a wide range of colors, shapes and musical notes.
- The mat is machine-washable and soft for baby playing.
3. Tadpoles Soft EVA Foam 36 Piece ABC Playmat Set
Features of ABC Playmat Set
- A set of 36 foam pieces comes with removable shaped centers and 24 border pieces.
- Square size- 12 ”each.
- The material is soft, safe and long-lasting.
- It is made from 100% EVA foam and is completely non-toxic.
- The playmat set gets easily cleaned with mild soap and a damp cloth.
What is a baby play mat?
It is a sheet of cloth or rubber that is used to place it on the floor so that children find a comfortable and safe place to play, crawl or walk.
There are two types according to their manufacturing materials: foam and fabric.
Those that are made of foam give the baby great cushioning to protect them from hitting the floor. They are the best for when they are not walking yet. They are generally lightweight and easy to clean. They are highly sought after because they provide greater stability in the child’s movements.
In the fabric mats you can also find a good article. They are softer than foam ones and more practical to transport. For your hygiene you can wash them by machine.
How to choose the best baby play mat? Buying Guide
Always consider the following aspects:
The padded ones made with soft fabrics are the most recommended to guarantee full comfort of the little one. They tend to be the favorites of some children because in addition to playing they use them to rest.
Look for those that have rubber elements that serve as a grip, so that there is no danger of accidental slipping.
It is an element to always take into account in the rugs because both the colors and the textures contribute to the visual and tactile stimulation of the child. Fortunately we can find multicolored designs.
As there are different sizes, take into account the place where you will usually use it. Select one that is practical and serves to provide a cozy space for the baby.
The best ones will be those that you can fold and store easily. Those that are quickly assembled and disassembled are also usually very functional.
Make sure that it has been made with good quality materials without toxic elements, because it is the place where the child will stay for several hours in a row.
It is an aspect that you must always take into account to prevent the area from becoming contaminated. Look for those waterproof options or whose material can be cleaned continuously with water and a mild soap. The cloth ones can usually be cleaned by machine as many times as necessary.
The thickness will be a determining element in the level of security that we want to provide. If the child still does not walk and is starting in the process, it is best to make it thick and allow good cushioning in case of falls or slips.